Re: gtkspell (was Re: Announcing: Project Ridley)

I'm all for spellchecking in Gtk, but GtkSpell has been nothing but trouble for me in Tomboy. It still doesn't handle multiple textbuffers sharing a tag table (which means that rich copy/paste doesn't work), and has some serious memory leaks (though this may be due in part to pspell).

-Alex

Mike Hearn wrote:
Yes, it's yet another "me too" post, this time for gtkspell.

Spelling checker support is widely used in many apps, and from my POV is a
huge pain because gtkspell is a very common failed dependency for
autopackages. We provide tools to make weak linking against this library
simple but a few projects for whatever mysterious reasons they have refuse
to use them.

Being able to guarantee the presence of GtkSpell by depending on GTK+
would be wonderful.

Last time I asked about this, Owen indicated he didn't think it belonged
in GTK+ but maybe this Project Ridely means a change in policy?

thanks -mike