Re: A cross-platform status icon api

Matthias Clasen wrote:

5) There is an implied focus problem; does the bubble steal focus when it demands attention? Almost certainly it shouldn't, but otherwise how does the screenreader or magnifier user notice it? We may need some kind of API for this - but the WM hints for urgency and attention don't seem to fit this case.

The bubble certainly should not steal focus. One of the basic premises
of notifications is that something should not be a notification unless
it can safely be ignored.

Regarding the keynav, would it work to put notifications in the "focus-me-harder" Ctrl-Alt-Tab chain, which already has panels and
other skip-alt-tab windows ?
Maybe; but it seems like a rather cumbersome approach and seems to conflict with the notion of "timeout", because it will necessarily take longer to find such a window. I think we need some other desktop "urgency" or "attention" focus behavior here to hook into, for instance so that a user can immediately jump to "the last thing demanding attention". By coordinating this with the WM we could use this mechanism to jump to the window demanding attention for the WM-spec case, and/or the bubble in the status icon case, maybe there's a case for the notification area too. All of these are similar issues, it seems to me; we need to get the user's attention without stealing focus, and thus the user needs an efficient mechanism for focussing such objects on-demand.

Bill

Matthias