Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 14:18 -0400, JP Rosevear wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 10:53 -0400, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > JP Rosevear <jpr novell com> writes:
> >
> > > I'm also for this, right now we are using multiple networking libraries
> > > and we fix the same bugs in multiple places.  I think its odd as a
> > > platform we have no "official" way to great an http/network connection
> > > (yes libsoup is in the platform for evolution, but for instance
> > > gnome-vfs uses neon).
> >
> > It sounds great to have a networking library on our platform, but I am
> > pretty confident that it shouldn't be part of glib or GTK+.  Project
> > Ridley is primarily about getting widgets back into the widget library,
> > and making that library comprehensive.
>
> We have an entire object/type system in glib, I don't think a simple
> network API is beyond the scope of glib.  It doesn't need to be all of
> gnome-vfs, just a layer gnome-vfs and others can use.

  It would be cool to at least have portable sockets in glib,
represented as GIOChannels.  Of course for datagram-oriented sockets a
couple of additional send/receive methods would be needed, but most of
what people already do with TCP sockets is already supported by
GIOChannel.  Only the socket creation functions are really missing.

  Perhaps anything above the transport layer[1] is too much, I'm not
sure.  But simple sockets sounds like a small and useful API that could
be added.

  Regards.

[1] http can be considered transport layer, depending on point of view,
but i'm considering it is above transport layer here.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic