Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

Hello all,

> I don't really see much reason ever to break ABI for the forseeable
> future.  There's essentially nothing stopping us from simply leaving
> deprecated functions in there indefinitely, other than a fairly minor
> memory footprint increase which will never be paged in anyway.

This is an issue for embedded systems using gtk (like for example GPE). Maybe
a --disable-deprecated flag could do the trick? This will also enable other
people developing with gtk to test their code before the ABI gets changed (I
would not say broken).
(the last thing could also be done with a deprecated macro that warns during
compilation as done in the Linux kernel) And it would reduce the memory
footprint on disk / flash / you-name-it. Ram is indeed less of a problem.

Also looking at the number of functions I see marked as deprecated this is
could be more than a minor increase.

Regards,

Philippe

| Philippe De Swert
|
| Stag developer http://stag.mind.be/
| Emdebian developer: http://www.emdebian.org
|
| Please do not send me documents in a closed
| format.(*.doc,*.xls,*.ppt)
| Use the open alternatives. (*.pdf,*.ps,*.html,*.txt)
| http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

A free anti-spam and anti-virus filter on all Scarlet mailboxes
More info on http://www.scarlet.be/