Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

Hello all,

Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> The primary goal of Project Ridley is to cut down on the number of
> problem libraries that are part of the GNOME platform.  We propose to do
> this by moving functionality into GTK+, wherever it makes sense.  These
> libraries are generally small, undermaintained, and buggy.  They have an
> unclear purpose (such as libgnome and libgnomeui), are copied-and-pasted
> around (such as libegg) or would benefit by being in GTK+ (libgnomeprint
> and libgnomeprintui.)

this sounds like a really good idea and is likely to improve the situation of a
large pile of software.

I'm working on the GPE project (http://gpe.handhelds.org, a software framework
for mobile devices like PDAs) which is using GTK.
Moving more features into GTK will make application development easier for us in
a software environment of limited resources.

The only problem i can imagine is that GTK might become heavily bloated and
unusable on devices with limited resources. So please keep in mind that there
are other projects than Gnome around using GTK which might run into trouble with
the total size and memory usage of GTK and the fact that some things might be to
heavy to belong to GTK.
To improve the situation for GTK on all kind of small and embedded devices some
more build-time configuration options would be a good idea to remove
functionality not needed on a particular platform.

I'd really like to see more GTK-based software for mobile devices like
cellphones and PDAs :-)

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday                  Florian Boor
is the hope of today                    Tel: 0271-771091-14

6C 44 30 4C 43 20 6B 61  16 07 0F AA E6 97 70 A8