Re: Menu interactions

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 14:36 +0300, Risto Kivilahti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A lot of menus interactions are based on movement events.  This is
> truely problematic immediatelly when one uses a touchscreen. (Clicks
> without movement)
> And it's really easy and very common to make clicks without movement.

If you have a X driver that sends button events without a preceding
motion event to the location of the press, that X driver is buggy
and must be fixed. In X, button presses can *only* occur at the
location of the pointer.

> Touchscreen example:
> When one clicks a menuitem, it does not activate it, instead it moves
> the cursor on the item.

Perhaps I don't understand. You are saying you need to touch on the
menu item twice to activate it?

> Normaly one moves the cursor on the item first. The item gets the focus
> (and movement handlers will be run) and clicking will work fine.  This
> is really a problem with touchscreens, because you have to click and
> move if you want to activate something.
>
> Any suggestions how the situation should be handled?

If I'm understanding the above right, I think the answer is "fix your
driver".

> Risto
>
> (Because these two input devices are pretty much different, it may be
> impossible to make a solution which is good for both devices.. ?)

Though I'm not sure the above is such a case, if there are places where
different behavior is needed for touchscreens, we would be open to a
global "touchscreen-mode" XSETTING for GTK+.

(Somebody mentioned such a need to me a while ago at a conference,
though I forget the exact situation.)