Re: ANN: imsep 0.6

Qui, 2004-10-21 às 02:29 -0400, Colin Walters escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to announce the first release of a little project called Imsep.
> The goal, in short, is to completely isolate image loaders using
> SELinux, so that a compromised or buggy image loader can do essentially
> nothing.   It's designed for the "targeted" SELinux policy to be
> released with Fedora Core 3.
>
> I've put up a little web page here with slightly more information:
>
> http://web.verbum.org/imsep/
>
> The source includes a sample SELinux policy.
>
> For people reading on the GTK+ list: I've created an initial patch to
> make gdk-pixbuf use imsep, it seems to work:
>
> http://web.verbum.org/imsep/download/gdk-pixbuf-imsep-0.6.patch
>
> The GDK_PIXBUF_FORMAT_REQUIRES_LOAD feels like a hack, but I didn't see
> a better alternative.
>
> Comments welcome.

  What about DoS attacks?  If I accidentally attempt to load an image
from the network, that image could be very large, consequently
monopolising the imsep process, thus denying other applications of its
services for a while.

  Another issue is, doesn't this introduce additional delay?  Maybe this
module should only be invoked (explicitly) for content coming from
untrusted sources.  You mention something about icon loader not using
this.  Maybe not using imsep should be the rule, and not the exception.

  Regards.