Re: Brainstorming on milestones

I think you are optimizing the wrong thing here.

I *like* bumping the target to be painful!  That pain is -- as you
note -- an indication that too many bugs are on a release's target.
I don't think the cause is that too many bugs get put there, but
more like that too few bugs on the target list get fixed.

In other words, it's sexy to work on new features, but work-avoidance
sets in when it comes to cleaning out old muck.

Take 132311, for example.  It's had a very simple patch for a year
and has been bumped so many times that it fell off at some point.

But if you really wanted to reduce the bug spam, just add milestones
"2.4 series" and "2.5 series" for bugs not blocking any particular
release in someone's mind.  Anything with a finer scale than that
is better handled by keywords like "easy-fix" and dependencies like
"block by bug 123456".

Morten