Re: Exposing get_filename_charset

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 20:19 +0000, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Alexander Larsson writes:
>  > The local files part of nautilus_file_get_display_name currently goes
>  > like:
>
> If I understood that code correctly, it patches the display name
> together from valid UTF-8 snippets in the string and question marks? I
> think instead of question marks it would be more useful to use
> something like g_strescape() of the whole string. I don't think file
> names that are partially in UTF-8 and partially in something else
> occur very often, so using the portions of the string that happen to
> be valid UTF-8 as such is probably wrong, and it would be better to
> just output all of the non-ASCII bytes in octal or hex.
>
> Would this be OK:

Not trying to convert from various likely encodings makes this fail for
many common cases. The eel fallback code with question marks might not
be ideal, but in reality it isn't hit that often. I'm not sure that
showing escaped characters in the user interface is any better though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a globe-trotting chivalrous master criminal looking for 'the Big One.'
She's a scantily clad green-skinned opera singer with a song in her heart and
a spring in her step. They fight crime!