Re: Clipboard improvements, II

At 21:37 17.05.04, Matthias Clasen wrote:
Here is another piece of clipboard api that will be needed to make
the clipboard experience less painful. It is the cleanup call outlined
earlier by Owen.

Tor, Hans, I'm posting this mainly as a quick check that the proposed
API is implementable for the Windows clipboard as well.

Does this mean any further questions will be ignored ? I hope, not ;-)

First to your question : if I understand correctly the proposed API is to let GTK work after a model called "delayed rendering" in the windoze world. That is not simply create the whole clipboard content on ctrl-C but just advertize the ability to create the content (in some formats) on request. When the application ends and there still is some data 'advertised' in the clipboard the users gets asked if it should be rendered now or dropped. If it should be rendered it is triggered by a call to gtk_clipboard_wait_for_exit_cleanup()

If my understanding is right, it certainly should be implementable on win32, although the current code in gdk/win32 does not make use of delayed rendering - following the comment cause of implementation problems - maybe related to the differences in clipboard owner models (already tried to get some comment from X experts in my previous mail on the subject, but apparently failed ;)

Now for my questions : all this dealing with GTK Clipboard improveents is still restricted to plain text, right ? Wouldn't it be feasible to extend the API while on it to at least have something like QClipboard::setImage(), i.e. gtk_clipboard_set_image() and gtk_clipboard_get_image(). Or is what QT does so far away from a standard, that it shouldn't be considered for GTK ?

Oh, and while on the subject of IMO real clipboard improments, could something be done to also support vector data ? Maybe stuff in SVG from the cross platform application [GIMP and Dia spring to my mind, but there are obviously more] and silently convert it to WMF/EMF on demand within the gdk/win32 backend - and do what ever is appropriate for X11 ?

Thanks,
        Hans