Re: Writing Installer

Amit Bansal wrote:
Hi, This is slightly off-topic here, but I'm sure ppl here can help me in this regard! I wish to write an installer to generate and install the binaries from my source code distribution. I find these files called "configure.in", "Makefile.am" etc in the source code distributions of most applications. I'm becoming bald, tearing my hair trying to figure out how these files are processed, and by whom. I guess tools like automake, autoconf... etc are there to make my life simpler, but... Can someone guide me to some comprehensive documentation that guides me about when and how to use each of the tools, like automake, autoconf, libtool etc.? I can check out the man pages of these individual tools, but... Please tell me about some documentation that guides me via a walk-through the entire process of generating these files "configure.in", "Makefile.am" etc, and how to use them. I am familiar with "make", and stuff like where header files and libraries are supposed to go, so we can start off from there. I hope someone will help me here! TIA, Amit

http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/autoconf.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html

It is not easy to learn yourself. You need to hack at your own
project and experiment with configure.ac to figure out how it
really works. The web has a mixture of documentation on obsolete
versions which doesn't help. Expect to learn over a few weeks/months.