Re: Standardizing _METACITY_UPDATE_COUNTER

Well, I've done some more work on synchronization, and now I've got a Qt/kwin
combo that is (in theory) compliant with the protocol I outlined in:

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2004-February/msg00024.html

Some notes:
- I decided to stick with the non-blocking method using SYNC alarms. I've got a
an initial revision of a blocking implementation, but getting Qt to draw over a
seperate X pipe is quite difficult and thus not a good approach for kwin right
now. Maybe its easier to do this in Metacity?

In any case, it appears that there is a bug in the current SYNC
implementation's XSyncValueSubtract macro (either that, or I am completely
misunderstanding the XSyncValue* macros). Eg: subtracting 2 from 1 will not
equal 1. This results in the X server not sending XSyncCounterNotify events
when awakening blocked clients, which makes the blocking implementation much
more cumbersome to implement.

- kwin now plays with the SYNC priorities of windows. The straight-forward
implementation of raising the foreground client's priority doesn't work,
because it results in all the clients behind it being starved. What does work,
however, is lowering the window-manager's priority while resizing. Since the
client apps all remain at the same priority, underlying windows aren't starved.
However, since the client's drawing gets priority over the window manager's,
the gap beteween the window frame and client contents is minimized. This effect
is especially noticible with clients that cannot keep up with the resize, such
as Konqueror opened up to kdelook.org. Priority lowering eliminates a very
large, ugly, gap in this case.

Right now, resize performance on my 2 GHz P4 is about as good as in Windows XP,
though it is more flickery. All in all, that's pretty reasonable.

If nobody has any objections, I'll start on a GTK+ patch and see how well that
works.

Unified diff's are available at:

(Kwin patch, relative to kdebase/kwin):
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg990h/kwin-sync.diff

(Qt patch, relative to qt-copy/src/kernel):
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg990h/qt-sync.diff

(Kdebase patch, relative to kdebase):
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg990h/xsync-check.diff

Sincerely,