GTK for displaying Video

Hi all,
I am new to GTK/GDK and want some basic information about the suitability of GTK/GDK for an application. I got the information that GDK is a kind of wrapper around Xlib calls which are used to manipulate graphics display. I want to write an application to display video (not still picture). I have the following doubts,
1. Is GTK or GDK suitable for it?
2. How is the performance of the application when using GTK/GDK in such applications?
3. Is there already any existing application which uses GTK/GDK for displaing video?
Any pointers here would help me a lot in my work.