Re: HIG Dialog widget proposal

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 21:00, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've developed a simple widget for doing HIG-style alert dialogs, it has
> replaced all GtkMessageDialogs in the GNOME System Tools and a has a
> quite simple API:
>
> GtkWidget* gst_hig_dialog_new (GtkWindow         *parent,
>              GtkDialogFlags     flags,
>              GstHigMessageType  type,
>              const gchar       *primary_text,
>              const gchar       *secondary_text,
>              const gchar       *first_button_text,
>              ...) G_GNUC_PRINTF (6, 7);

Here (some months later) my thoughts on the issue...

* I don't think a separate widget makes sense.

   If you had both, how would you explain to a developer
   when to use one or when to use another? I don't think
   there is a sensible explanation.

   And the difference between the two widgets is really
   small; basically, the only real difference is that
   the alert dialog has the "secondary text"

 * gtk_message_dialog_new() already has too many arguments.
   Therefore, I don't think sense to create a
   gtk_message_dialog_new_alert(). Rather we should
   add

    gtk_message_dialog_set_secondary_text()
    gtk_message_dialog_set_secondary_markup()

  That's marginally more verbose than adding more arguments
  to a single constructor, but also more readable.

 * the way I'd handle bolding of the main text, is that

    - If we aren't using markup for the main text and
      the secondary text should be should be displayed
      in bold

    - If we are using markup for the main text, we leave
      it unmodified.

   Two other possibilities are:

    - We should implicitly add a <b></b> around
      the main text in the case where the main text
      has markup.

    - We should have

       gtk_message_dialog_set_title_text()

      instead and use the current text as the main text.
      But that strikes me as making the code read backwards
      from the display and hence bad.

* The separator can simply be turned off on GtkMessageDialog
   for all message dialogs.