Creating objects without deriving from GObject

Hello,
	I am writing a tutorial on using Glib type system, and developing some
simple software as I go. I would like to create class that has no need
for GObject (reference counting, properties, etc.), however it appears
from the documentation that this makes it a fundamental type.

How does one Choose a GType number so it doesn't collide? Where are the
fundamental flags documented? How does does a fundamental type interact
with the memory manager (which could one day be a garbage collector)?

Or is the library designed so that every end user would derive from
GObject? If so, aren't there very good reasons why a user might not want
to do so?

Thanks for your help! As I said its for a tutorial, so answering me will
mean answering a lot of people when I'm done.

Cheers,
Ryan