Re: GtkFileChooserWidget possibly broken

[CCing desktop-devel-list and nautilus-list]

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 17:02 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> I've tested the attached program. It returns "test failed." although
> I've got many bookmarks. Can anybody verify whether it is just me or  is
> the shortcut list getter actually broken?

[This is about gtk_file_chooser_list_shortcuts()]

As we discussed on IRC, that function only gives you the application-
specific shortcuts (e.g. "/usr/share/PaintApp/Clipart"), rather than the
user's bookmarks.  Right now there is no way to get the latter.

It makes a lot of sense for applications to be able to get the user's
bookmarks list from the file chooser.  Nautilus could use this to
present easy access to these folders; it would also make sense to be
able to bookmark folders from Natilus and have them appear in file
choosers.  This should of course be shared across desktops, so we
probably need a freedesktop.org standard.

I'm not well-versed in XBEL and complex stuff like that.  From GTK+'s
viewpoint, using XBEL would also mean that we need a real XML parser
underneath, which will make the no-dependencies people scream.

Does anyone have ideas about this?  I'm perfectly happy to just expose
~/.gtk-bookmarks through a simple API, but that's far from a standard.
This would work for GNOME but not for other desktops, since they are of
course forbidden from opening files which match ".g*".

  Federico