Re: [patch] add G_GNUC_WARNUNCHECKED define
- From: Sven Neumann <sven gimp org>
- To: Johannes Stezenbach <js convergence de>
- Cc: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>, Arjan van de Ven <arjanv redhat com>, GTK+ development mailing list <gtk-devel-list gnome org>, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com>
- Subject: Re: [patch] add G_GNUC_WARNUNCHECKED define
- Date: 08 Jul 2004 14:12:48 +0200
Johannes Stezenbach <js convergence de> writes:
> Well, IMHO is is not legitimate to ignore the return value
> of g_list_append() etc. because the documented API requires
> that it is evaluated. OTOH I think it is not legitimate to
> depend on undocumented implementation internals.
GList and GSList don't have any internals. There are no implementation
details that the user is not supposed to know about.
> My guess is that adding G_GNUC_WARNUNCHECKED to the list functions
> might uncover a few real bugs, and save people lots of time in bug
It would cause lots of unneeded compiler warnings and break
compilation of apps using -Werror. I don't think that's an option.
] [Thread Prev