Re: signals versus vfuncs

Christof Petig said:
> Iterators usually contain pointers to internal data structures, Paths
> are just an ordinal representation of a (potential) node position.
> Prepare to accept zero'd iterators (I sometimes get some from
> GtkTreeView after changing between models).

another point of contention: GtkTreeIters are designed to be used by
allocation on the stack, and as such, have no destructors.  the boxed free
function is just g_free().  this means i have no hook on iter destruction,
which means that if i want to store a perl scalar inside (which makes the iter
useful in model implementations), i have to leak that structure in order for
it to live long enough to be useful.  (without going into the gory details, it
has to do with garbage collection and scalar lifetimes.  we're looking into
workarounds, but so far they are perverse and unnatural.)  this is not good,
of course.

is there any way at all to get notification when an iter is no longer in use?
perhaps there's something simple i'm missing...

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>