GtkComboBoxEntry vs. GtkCombo

I'm trying to migrate some code to GTK 2.4.  It appears the only way to
make a GtkComboBox that behaves more or less like a GTK 2.2 GtkCombo is
to copy the behavior of gtk_combo_box_new_text() (creating the list
store, cell renderer, etc.) but replace the call to
gtk_combo_box_new_with_model to gtk_combo_box_entry_new_with_model.

Does a function like that belong in the GtkComboBoxEntry API?
It feels like there's a hole there---I'm not doing anything fancy with
the treemodel, yet I still had to read the gtk_combo_box_new_text source
to figure out how to make a simple GtkCombo equivalent.

--
Evan Martin
martine danga com