Standardizing _METACITY_UPDATE_COUNTER

I recently implemented support in Qt and kwin for using the X11 SYNC extension
to synchronize window frame and client repaints.

Currently, the protocol I use is the same as the one Havoc Pennington
originally outlined:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2002-December/msg00023.html

The current implementation in kwin appears to be compatible with the one in
metacity.

The kwin side of the patch is about to go into CVS, so Lubos Lunak suggested
contacting the metacity developers about standardizing this behavior, or at
least making it public so things don't change unexpectedly. Also, it appears
that the toolkit side of the patches have not made it into GTK+. Standardizing
the behavior might make it easier to get GTK+ and Qt to support the sync
counter. Lastly, the freedesktop.org X server will make it possible to
double-buffer window resizes like MacOS X does, and as noted in the original
message, the sync counter makes that possible.

The patches for Qt and kwin can be found at:

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg990h/kwin-sync.diff
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg990h/qt-sync.diff

Sincerely,
    Rayiner Hashem