Re: Glade & new GTK+ 2.5.x features

Damon Chaplin wrote:
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 15:45, Bill Haneman wrote:

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 20:36, Damon Chaplin wrote:

OK, scratch that idea. I've thought of a better way:

 <widget class="GtkLabel" id="label1">
   <property name="label" font="bold,italic,x-large">label1</property>
 </widget>

I think that is fairly clean.

Yeah, nice.  I assume the comma-delimited list could in theory include
any markup tags, i.e. not restricted to a particular set of known
values...

Howabout 'style' instead of 'font'? Since possible global markup could
affect something not entirely "font"-specific.

The main concern of the translators is the really common markup, like
the font weights, styles, and sizes. In which case we could use the
known values like above.

If we want to support all possible tags it would start getting ugly
again:

  <widget class="GtkLabel" id="label1">
     <property name="label" markup="foreground=&quot;blue&quot weight=&quot;bold&quot; size=&quot;x-large&quot;">label1</property>
  </widget>

I'd be OK with that as well. Though it doesn't look like people are going to agree anyway.

I like this idea, but I think it would look a lot better written as:

   <widget class="GtkLabel" id="label1">
      <property name="label"
         markup:foreground="blue"
         markup:weight="bold"
         markup:size="x-large">label1</property>
   </widget>

This namespace could even be extended to markup elements, which would make the strings easier for a human to read,and more in keeping with the intent of XML:

   <property name="label">Normal, <markup:i>Italic</markup:i></property>

I realize that this may not be very easy to implement.

--
Tim Evans
Applied Research Associates NZ