Re: Some 2.6 thinking

On 14/04/2004 2:22 AM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

lpr ?

For those platforms missing the lpr command, it should be an easy
task to write one.
Are you trying to be obstructionist? Simply running lpr only really works if you want to print to the default printer using the default print attributes (and isn't really an option on win32). On modern unix systems we should be able to do a lot better.

If all I can rely on is lpr, how do I get a list of all the printers the user can print to? What options are available for each printer? (different paper sizes, input trays, output bins, duplexing options, stapling, copies, collation, colour, etc). How do I set the various printer options when sending a print job?

The papi API Jody posted (which looks quite closely related to the IPP printing model) might be the answer.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/