Re: Writing Installer

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 13:58, Amit Bansal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is slightly off-topic here, but I'm sure ppl here can help me in
> this regard!
>
> I wish to write an installer to generate and install the binaries from
> my source code distribution. I find these files called "configure.in",
> "Makefile.am" etc in the source code distributions of most
> applications. I'm becoming bald, tearing my hair trying to figure out
> how these files are processed, and by whom. I guess tools like
> automake, autoconf... etc are there to make my life simpler, but...
>
> Can someone guide me to some comprehensive documentation that guides me
> about when and how to use each of the tools, like automake, autoconf,
> libtool etc.? I can check out the man pages of these individual tools,
> but...
>
> Please tell me about some documentation that guides me via a
> walk-through the entire process of generating these files
> "configure.in", "Makefile.am" etc, and how to use them. I am familiar
> with "make", and stuff like where header files and libraries are
> supposed to go, so we can start off from there.

I've also a hard time with these tools, sometimes ago...
Right the tutorial from Murray should be good start,
and you would probably want to study the a few (not so few) official
manuals of that.
I thing you may read those in these seq.
1. make
2. autoconf
3. automake
4. libtool

Sure, a real project will make you have some chance to practice,
otherwise you probably learn nothing ...

> I hope someone will help me here!
>
> TIA,
> Amit

Cheers,