Re: visibility problems

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 22:17, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >  gtk_widget_show_all (window);
> >
> > doesn't quite work as intended: It makes all the invisible menu items
> > visible.
> I don't like leaving this trap. Reusing the compound-child mechanism
> seems a little peculiar to me. Might it be best to simply add new
> API:
>
>  gtk_menu_item_set_no_show_all()

	Presumably not showing all would be the default; ultimately it has to
be the uncommon case that you merge a load of menus and don't want them
to be visible-surely; can they not be made visible by default as they
are merged ?

	In BonoboWindow we override show_all and don't do anything with the
toolbars/menus for precisely this reason.

	We (used to) do a similar thing on plug/socket - after all who wants
the private internal hidden/shown state of their sub-component thrown
away by a careless parent.

	FWIW,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot