Re: An Attempt at tasks for the FOSD

my 2 yen..

> ----- Open Dialog -----
>
> Frequent by Many (Visible, few clicks)
> * Find folder within the heirarchy
> * Find a file within that folder
> * Select a root/folder from a list of frequently used folders
>   (including ~/, / , Network:// and user defined roots)

  * Open a file from a currently mounted removable storage device
  * Find a host on the network with shared files

  * SEARCH for a file. (I never understood why you could never search from the open dialog)

  These go for the save dialog as well.

  * go "up"
  * go "back"

  * browse inside of compressed archives (zip, tar.gz/bz2)

  * open a 'recently saved file'.. it would be nice if gtk could somehow keep track
    of this for a user, so that if I save a file with epiphany, and then choose file->open
    in gedit, i could quickly find the file I just saved... i supposed there would
    have to be some kind of freedesktop.org standard for this....

> Frequent by Few (Suggested, few clicks)
> * Use tab completion for fast navigation

  * nice line editing in general..
    ctrl+backspace -> delete last part of path
    ctrl+left/right -> move cursor back/forward path segments
    spell check?

    auto updating file listing -> graphical listing should always be up
    to date with what is being typed. (might want to turn off for network)

> Ocasional by Many (Suggested, more clicks)
> * Add a folder to the list of frequent folders
> * Use a filter to narrow the selection
> * View a preview of the item being opened
>

> Occasional by Few (Hidden, more clicks)
> * ?

  * change filesystem "default" character encoding (helpful when using langs that have
   multiple encodings and/or when browsing other people's machines that don't
   use unicode or the same encoding as you)

> ----- Save As Dialog -----
> Frequent by Many (Visible, few clicks)
> * Find folder within the heirarchy
> * Select a filename
> * Select a filetype
> * Select a root/folder from a list of frequently used folders
>   (including ~/, / , Network:// and user defined roots)

  Depending on the app:
  * select a folder destination (maybe this is a different kind of dialog altogether)

  * see the size of the file being saved
  * see the amount of space left on the current device

  * a quick  save in predefined folders, like a "save in" menu with
    customizable destinations ("My downloads" "my music" etc. not nec. those names).

  * drop down URL-style completion

> Frequent by Few (Suggested, few clicks)
> * Use tab completion for fast navigation

  * key-mappable predefined locations (ex. hitting F1 takes you to
predefined location    and moves focus to location input widget so that
one can start typing and tab completing  right away)

 Ocasional by Many (Suggested, more clicks)
> * Add a folder to the list of frequent folders
> * Create a new folder
> * Change settings specific to the file type being used

  * rename a file (i guess this is sort of covered by the last one)

> Occasional by Few (Hidden, more clicks)
> * Select the encoding of the file being saved

this depends on who you consider the "few" .. its pretty important  (and
would almost say 'frequent') for cjk users.

Just some related ideas:
  * save and compress
  * add to archive.. this could be as intuitive as browsing into a compressed file
    and saving there.. I suppose it would need the proper gnome-vfs support.
  * save w/ specific permissions -> maybe the save button could be one of those
    where if you hold down for a while it shows a menu, and you could choose like
    "save as read-only" -> r--r--r--
    "save as private"   -> rw-------
    "save as public"    -> rw-rw-rw-

------

(  Ken Deeter (Kentarou SHINOHARA)             (
(  "If only God were alive to see this.. "     (
 )                             -Homer Simpson   )