Re: [Usability] RFP: File chooser user interface

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:27:48AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> GtkFileChooser is the next generation file selection widget for GTK+
> that will appear in GTK+-2.4. Quite a bit of work has been done on the
> application programming interfaces and on the internal implementation,
> but there is, as yet, no firm design for how the file selector should
> look and work.
<snip>

For anyone looking into this, here are the notes I made over a year ago on
the NeXT file selector:

  http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/filesel.png

There's a mockup (or did it work?) of a gtk1.x version here:

  http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/file-selector.png

Note that they depend on having a Smalltalk/NeXT/MacOSX browser widget,
which Gtk+ does not have.

That's all for now,
Greg