Re: RAD, invisible components

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 16:12, Stephan Bayer wrote:
> > > Solution two:
> > > We only extend Glade.
> > > We add the posibility to add none visual components, by declaring this
> > > in the glade3 xml files or so.
> > > If this mailing list comes to the solution this would be the way we
> > > should go, i'm then inform the glade list to implement such a feature.
> >
> > I'm sure they'll be delighted to learn of your interest in implementing
> > such a thing.
> >
> > I don't think generic handling of non-visual components is all that
> > useful, though there is clearly need in Glade for GtkTreeModel,
> > GtkTreeViewColumn, GtkSizeGroup, etc.
>
> mhhh ok,
> GtkTreeViewColumn is not direct a none visual component.
> In Delphi and other GUI builder this is implemented as a property expert
> or something like this.
> It's a editor which embede in the property editor and works with a
> special property type.
> None visual components have a list of properties like normal visual
> components.
>
> I would explain the advantages of none visual components.
> e.g. you have a component wich handles sockets (client) connections.
> You setup in glade the properties:
> adresse = 192.168.0.8
> port = 4638
> type = tcp
>
> You connect the event:
> on-receive
>
> And you only code the signal function on_receive the rest is handled by
> the component.

You are missing my point. What I'm saying is that GObject by itself
is a non-visual component. You don't have to extend it to make
non-visual components.

"Visual" is something extra you add. And most of glade is about
handling that one subtype of a "non-visual component" - a visual
component deriving from GtkWidget.

What I'm saying is it would be also useful to have special code
in libglade for handling a number of other types of "non-visual"
components that occur in GTK+, such as GtkTreeModel and GtkSizeGroup.

Also, please read:

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/glade-devel/2003-February/000015.html

For why you should not be generating code with Glade.