tooltip window position

I'm writing an application that has tall, narrow windows
would like to override where (my verbose) tool tip windows
are displayed (some tip windows are four and five times
as wide as the window holding the widget). I have snooped
around in gtktooltips.[hc] (gtk+-2.2.4) and found that the
allocation computation is done inline in gtk_tooltips_draw_tips().

I'm tempted to install some kind of callback in the widget
class to present the allocation gtk_tooltips_draw_tips()
has computed, and allow the widget for which the tip is to
be displayed to alter the x and y coordinate just before
the calls to gtk_window_move() and gtk_widget_show() at the
end of the gtk_tooltips_draw().

Let me know if this is something you would be interested
in incorporating in gtk, and I'll bite the bullet and learn
about gobject signaling as to make it fit in with the rest
of the library.  If not, I'll just rig it to fit my needs.

Patrick Schweiger