Re: Pango development trouble (Kerning - PLEASE HELP!)

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:53, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Wow, what hyperbole! :-) Manual kerns are occasionally useful, but
> way behind, say, justification and hyphenation in terms of typographic
> features that Pango doesn't yet support.

My hyphenation code is pretty much done now, I think. We just need to
sort out the API.

I've also converted hyphenation pattern data for 19 languages from TeX,
which I think we are OK to distribute. The pattern data for the other
10-15 languages has awkward licenses ("non-profit use" etc.).

My justification code is 60-70% done. The main things missing are
support for tabs, kashidas and character spacing.

I think I should have just used a greedy justification algorithm to
start with. The TeX algorithm just made it too complex and I got fed up
with it. I haven't looked at it for a few months. Though I do hope to
get back to it at some point.

Damon