Re: EggDateTime committed to libegg

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 08:15:35PM +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:

> >From past experience I can say that in order to implement ATK cleanly
> for display widgets that are likely to contain textual content, we need
> the ability to get any layout components which the widget contains.
>
> Assuming the widget uses a PangoLayout to display its text, a simple
>
> PangoLayout *egg_datetime_get_layout (EggDateTime *eggdatetime);
>
> would suffice.  If there are multiple layouts (quite possible), then
> something slightly more complex might be required.

I see. Please have a look at:

  http://www.jroger.in-berlin.de/gnome/datetime.html

There are screenshots of the current implementation. The widget consists
of a GtkEntry for the date with a calendar popup button and a GtkEntry
for the time with a time list popup button. So it's fairly easy to
provide two methods:

  PangoLayout *egg_datetime_get_date_layout (EggDateTime *eggdatetime);
  PangoLayout *egg_datetime_get_time_layout (EggDateTime *eggdatetime);

But this has one major disadvantage: It exposes the setup of the widget
in the API; we can't change the composition of the widget later (e.g. we
can't replace the two entries by one combined entry) if we commit to this
API.

> Why do we need this?  Well, in order to implement AtkText on a widget,
> we need access to glyph bounds for every displayed character, among
> other things.

Is AtkText really the right object for date/time display? If so, can't
the widget provide an AtkText object itself?

 - Sebastian