Re: GtkColorPickerButton

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 12:51:54AM +0100, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > Its advantage is that it is more compact than a full color selection
> > dialog, but it duplicates the palette which is (optionally) part of the
> > color selection dialog anyway, and offers an unusual UI, a "gridded"
> > menu, which is not found elsewhere in gtk. The button looks like an
> > option menu, but it doesn't behave like one (the menu is mapped on
> > release and is sticky, whereas for an option menu you would expect it to
> > be mapped on press and allow selection on release). And if you don't
> > want one of the preset colors, its one more click to the dialog.
>
> It is also a well recognized widget that is used in most win32
> applications and is available in most major toolkits.  I would
> prefer it it to feel like an option menu.  However, that is just an
> implementation detail.  The first question is whether or not the
> colour selector should be a trivial map to a dialog or contain a
> pallete.

I'm not opposed to morph this into a palette, but  I don't think "win32 apps
have this" is a very
convincing  argument, since it can probably made for *any* imaginable
widget. I also disagree that option-menu-ness is an implementation detail.  Getting
details like this wrong destroys the consistency
of  the UI.

In any case, implementing this will have to wait until Kristians gridded
menus land in CVS.

Matthias