Re: Thinking about GtkFileSystem

On 14 Mar 2003, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > > - Is additional information needed in GtkFileInfo -
> > >   is-symlink? atime? ctime? permissions?
> >
> > It seems to me that the file system must be able to report about
> > hidden files. On Unix that would be files whose name start with a dot,
> > but on Windows "hidden" is a separate attribute on the file.
>
> Good idea ... there was an extensive discussion about this
> on nautilus-list recently.

I think the results of that will be:
a) implement a hidden flag in gnome-vfs that gnome-vfs modules can set on
files. This can be either from filesystem data (such as FAT attributes) or
because the specific backend knows some file is supposed to be hidden from
the user.

b) We will implement support for macos x style .hidden files in nautilus.
Basically this is a text file called .hidden that lists files to be hidden
in the directory its in. One filename per line, unix linefeed style (dunno
how newlines are escaped yet).

It would be cool if the Gtk+ file selector handled this too.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a genetically engineered flyboy rock star haunted by an iconic dead
American confidante She's a radical mute bodyguard from out of town. They
fight crime!