Re: http://www.gtk.org/plan/2.4

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 03:27, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Another month has passed. Did we make any progress regarding plan/2.4 ?

Thanks for keeping up on this stuff.

> A month ago, Owen said:
> > The steps we need to move forward on planning at this point:
> >
> >   - Make sure we have detailed design proposals (and/or prototypes)
> >     for all the items we want to handle.
>
> We have a better prototype for the disclosure triangle, the "private struct"
> patch is iterating, and I recently created GtkColorPickerButton and
> GtkFontPickerButton. Anything else.

Well, the combo stuff is the other big obvious issue ... Kris claims
that he'll have something any-day-now :-)

Dov is busy on improving RTL editing.

Some of the other more major items - height-for-width geometry in
particular - should be moved to plan/2.6 at this point.

I'd like to see some action on the Direct-FB port soon if we are
going to integrate that.

> >   - Get some idea of who is going to be working on what.
>
> Do we have an idea ? In particular, is anybody working on the fileselector
> prototype ?
>
> >   - Decide against some additions (always the hard part)
> >
> >   - Start getting stuff into CVS
>
> I think the disclosure triangle, color and font picker are nearly ready.
> Would be nice if
> they could get some review.

It's probably good if for every separate item we get
atleast one mail here:

 - Describing what it is in basic terms
 - Including the proposed API
 - With the relevant links

Yes, I see the stuff in bugzilla, and some other people do, but
not most people who might be interested.

> > I'll be giving a talk about GTK+-2.4 at FOSDEM next weekend; I'm
> > concentrating on the file selector for that ... hopefully I can
> > kill two birds with one stone and the write up for that will serve
> > as the design proposal for the new file selector.
> >
> > The file selector, menu, and combo API's are going to be the
> > ones that will be most controversial, so that's where we need
> > to focus effort right now.
> >
> > I think it would make sense to create separate sub-planning pages
> > for the menu items. I'll do one for the file selector. Also,
>
> Do we still want to do that ?

Yes, I still think it would be a good idea .. there is some sense
of overkill of "mail here, bugzilla there, web page there", but they
all serve different purposes.