gtk_rc_parse and pixmap_path

I want my GTK application to find its pixmaps in the directory where
they are installed, but configuring pixmap_path in an rc file seems to
have no effect.

In my efforts to debug why this is the case, this is what I have done.
I modified examples/buttons/buttons.c from the GTK distribution, adding
the following line after the gtk_init() line:

    gtk_rc_parse("./.myrc");

I then created the file examples/buttons/.myrc with the following line:

    pixmap_path "/tmp"

I moved examples/buttons/info.xpm to /tmp.

After recompiling buttons.c, this example program is no longer able to
find its pixmap.  I do know the rc file is being read, as I can make the
parser complain when my pixmap_path line reads

    pixmap_path: "/tmp"

./.myrc:1: error: unexpected character `:', expected string constant

I know my rc file is being read from this error.  I do not understand
why the pixmap file is not being found.  Undoubtedly this failure it due
to my lack of understanding of how to configure an rc file, or how the
pixmap_path semantic works.  According to my read of the tutorial and
docs, I think this should work. I have been unable to learn how to do
this properly from Google searches and searching the GTK mailing list
archive. So I am now posting to this list.  Any help on this topic is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
---
Adam Bernstein   no6 pobox com  http://mpgedit.org
"Who are you?  The new Number 2.  Who is Number 1?  You are, Number 6.
I am not a number, I am a free man!  Aha ha ha ha ha..."
Key fingerprint =  DD 2B 08 4C 51 B6 2B FF  18 41 84 E8 93 8A 27 8D