Re: GtkTreeView - Selecting individual cells

Joseph Turner <joeman leederville net> writes:

> Anyhow, I'm thinking I'd like to add a feature .
> e.g.
> GTK_SELECTION_CELL  (like GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE|SINGLE) which is a when set to
> TRUE, tells the expose routine to only highlight cells under mouse pointer,
> and then to implement two routines (maybe be simple?) to get the text and set
> the text in a particular cell....(that part I have to look into still)....

In the past I've resisted making the GtkTreeView more like a sheet.  I
was hoping that someone would be able to do a separate sheet widget, as
it would be better suited to the task.  Unfortunately, it looks like
such a widget isn't forthcoming, and making a few changes so that the
TreeView can be used as a poor-man's sheet might be worthwhile.  It'd
probably okay to add a selection mode that's more spread-sheet like.  I
have no time to write it, so you'd have to implement it.  You should
probably send a proposed API/implementation here first.

> And eventually, would like it so I can implement GTK_BUTTON events on these
> cells, (but with the knowledge of where the pointer is in relation to the
> columns), know what cell the use is clicking on and DO something from there...

You should be able to do that right now.  I think the combo renderer in
libegg actually uses this.

> The other idea I have is putting in a generic Widget (or has this already been
> done?) and then simply allowing the user to do their operations using that widget...

What do you mean?

> I REALLY want to get something like this going, because it is stopping this from
> being a really good substitute for my clunky tables/cell/row approach.

Good luck,
-Jonathan