Re: Dumb identifier name question

Rachel Hestilow <hestilow ximian com> writes:

> As a related issue, what would you think of moving all function argument
> names as declared in .h to their own namespace? I ask this because I'm
> getting tired of seeing warning spew when I turn on -Wshadow (mostly
> because of the libc "index" function).

Have you tried recently? Soeren Sandmann spent a bunch of time prior
to 2.2 fixing conflicts with system headers with changes of the
form s/index/index_/.

> Pros:
>  1) Could be done with a perl script
>  2) Won't incur any code changes, as it would it only be changing the
> header prototypes, not the actual implementations.
>  3) Gtk-doc, et al, should still work, since gtk-doc statements are in
> sources, not headers.

[ 3) is not actually quite true - the names in the headers need to match
  the the gtk-doc comments, so changes were needed to the doc comments
  as well. ]