Re: Windowless Applications with Transparency

john mckerrell fastsearch com wrote:

Hi,
  I need to write a application that will give me a "desktop buddy", a
picture of a little cartoon character on my desktop that will animate,
interact with the user, that sort of thing. I think I'd like to use
GTK(2) because it's freely available, and for the following reasons. The
primary platform for this is Windows, but I personally use Linux 99% of
the time so I'd like it to work on both platforms, and being able to
develop it on Linux would be handy.
Note that questions like this should be asked on gtk-list gnome org or gtk-app-devel-list gnome org This list is for discussion relating to development _of_ gtk, rather than with gtk.

In answer to your question, yes you can create a shaped, borderless window with gtk. The relevant APIs are:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-set-decorated
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWidget.html#gtk-widget-shape-combine-mask

James.

--