Re: toolbar status

Matthias said
> > Keynav is only a small aspect; you also need to check theme
> > compliance/compatibility (especially with HighContrastLargePrint and
> > HighContrastLargeInverse).
>
> I don't really have to say much about this apart from: looks ok to me,
> modulo the sensitivity problems discussed on desktop-devel-list
> currently.

cool; do the icons get bigger when the "Large" themes are used, too?
(I am guessing they do).

> > Also, you need to make sure that the ATK apis are implemented
> > appropriately; you will get some of this "for free" by inherited
> > implementations from the toolbar's "parent" widget type (GtkContainer?).
> >
> > This last item is much easier if the toolbar items are themselves
> > widgets, otherwise more work is required.
> >
> > See Marc Mulcahy's GUAD3C presentation, "Making GNOME Applications
> > Accessible":
> >
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/presentations/GUAD3C/making-apps-accessible/start.html
> >

> Toolbar items are widgets, but I don't really know how to test the ATK
> apis. What I did was to load libferret into test-toolbar and see what it
> reports. For regular toolbar items, I see

Great, thanks for this Matthias, it's very helpful.

> Accessible Type: GailButton (also GailToggleButton or GailRadioButton)
> Parent Accessible Type: GailContainer
> Accessible Name: <label>
> Index in Parent: 0
>
> I wonder about the "Index in Parent", which is 0 for all toolbar items.

Yep, that's a bug allright.

> There is also a GtkImage in the toolbar, for which ferret doesn't report
> appropriate data. Instead, I see the data of the focus widget.

I would also highly recommend trying Michael's excellent at-poke utility
(cvs module at-poke) which gives a good, hierarchical view of the
accessibility info.  It doesn't have complete event coverage, so you may
still need to consider whether focus and/or selection events are
correctly being generated, but it's excellent for checking the static
stuff.

BTW, what about 'focus indication' during keynav?  That's something to
consider as well; if you use gtk_style's draw_focus routines you should
be fine - don't forget that focus lines can be more than 1 pixel wide
when doing allocations.

best regards,

-Bill

--