Re: is gtk_timeout_remove gone?

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 05:41  PM, Joe Shaw wrote:

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 17:37, Matthias Clasen wrote:
Will do so next time. It is a weakness of our deprecation system that it
can only break the build, not give you warnings.

Thanks.  We were arguing about this over lunch today.  I think ideally
the tinderbox would try to do the build with deprecation enabled and
then try again with it off, and if it works the second time to color the
build orange or something like that.

Yeah, but currently that would require some magic that I don't want to write.. there are bigger fish to fry in tinderboxland ;-) For now, I think it's acceptable to just remove the module that breaks from the build temporarily and mail the maintainer to fix the problem.

Of course, this has the potential
for making the build take up to twice as long if many modules were using
some deprecated functions, but in reality it would probably only affect
one or two modules at most. And someone (well, Dan. :) would have to do
the work to implement it, which probably isn't easy. :)

Worst case would be O(n^2) where n=num modules, because the build must be restarted from scratch if it dies.

-Dan