Re: [gsl-dev] GTK+ v FLTK

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 01:04:40AM -0700, Edward Peterlin wrote:
> [stuff deleted]
>
> There is absolutely NO reason we need to move to GTK or ANY OTHER
> "cross-platform" toolkit for the sheer purpose of drawing buttons in
> the appearance of a specific platform and widget set.  The Neo
> prototype proves this point in a rather self-evident fashion of OOo
> running on top of a completely different widget set from its core
> implementation, not to mention pure native widgets in an AWT peer
> similar fashion for menus.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I believe the issue gets harder once
you get into l10n issues. Even if you don't use Gtk+ you would have
to call Pango in order to use its rendering of complex scripts that
are painted on top of the buttons. Or reimplement that functionality
in your toolkit, which sounds like a complete waste of time.

Regards,
Dov