Re: Save under on all windows

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 04:42, Wouter van Kleunen wrote:

> Apparantly xfree can already do backing store and save under. This patch will
> enable it on all input/output windows. X probably has to be started with +bs,
> i'm not sure. You can check if backing store is running using xwininfo.

You don't want to do this; there are some real quirks in the way
that backing store in X works that make it less than useful;
that's why it's disabled by default in XFree86.

Try this with your patch - bring up the text widget example
in gtk-demo, scroll around the buffer. Paste a large amount
of text into the buffer, scroll around some more. I think
you'll find that your X server's memory usage keeps going
up and up and up... X will end up backing storing the entire
scrollable area, not just the visible portion.