Re: status icon API

Hi Bill,

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 12:10, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Hi Mark:
> I will reply when I get back Monday.

	Umm, okay :-)

> But we can't wait until gnome-2.6 or 2.8 to get this right, in the sense
> that we need to make sure icons in the meantime can be made to theme
> properly *and* have names.  Just saying 'create an anonymous icon from
> this pixmap file' is not a tractable API for accessibility, it requires
> app developers to make additional and seemingly-unrelated API calls in
> order to do what should really be automatic to icon creation.

	I doubt the API will just have set_from_pixbuf(). I'm sure using the
stock icon system will be allowed too.

	If you're saying real icon themeing is the only "right" way, then the
"right" from a gtk+ API standpoint AFAICS is to get icon themeing into
gtk+. You can't do much until that happens.

> and yes, themes should override pixmap contents, that's how it works
> with the gtk+ builtin icons :-)

	Huh? That only happens when you're using the stock icon system. But if
an app developer uses plain old pixbufs you never override them.

Good Luck,
Mark.