RE: Docking widget for GTK 2.4

Well, GdlDock is much more powerful that the handle box. It is more like
a replacement for GnomeDock and offers the same kind of features and API
like BonoboDock or QT's QDockArea and QDockWindow.

Briefly, you have a GdlDock widget which is a container for gtk dock
items:
GtkContainer->GdlDockObject->GdlDock

Then you have GtkDockItems which can be created from any widget:
GtkContainer->GdlDockObject->GdlDockItem

[ There is also a GdlDockLayout for edinting dock objecgt positions,
visibility, etc. ]

All gdl dock objects are identifyable by a unique name.

Once you have a dock and a set of dock objects, you can attach these
objects to the dock, specifying a default attachment style while doing
so.

Subsequently, the user can use DnD to place various dock items
differently. Supported options are docked (left, right, bottom, top),
notebook and floating.

I think the best thing is to try it out to get a feel for it. If you
check out gdl, you can compile and run the test-dock program in the gdl
subdirectory.