gtk 1.2 and 2.0 file selector when / is not readable

Hi all,

while fixing remaining bugs for Mandrake 9.0, I've discovered a "nice"
in GTK+ File Selector for both 1.2 and 2.0 :

as root, just do chmod o-r /

as a normal user, create a temporary directory (mkdir foobar), go to
this directory (cd foobar), start a gtk application which use
gtkfileselector (for instead gedit)

while this application is running, remove the directory and try to open
file selector => gtk starts a infinite loop which try to eat all
available memory (well, OOM kills it..)

We are seeing this on all Mandrake system using High Security
restrictions, aka msec 4 (or 5).

Any idea on how to fix this cleanly ? My bet would be to try user HOME
if / fails..

--
Frederic Crozat
MandrakeSoft