Newbie Install Problem

I hope this is the right list to query for problems installing gnome.  I

couldn't find a list
or a news group specifically dedicated to this subject.

I just began to install the sources for the gnome desktop.  I am running

a roll your own
Linux with kernel 2.4.18, glibc-2.2.5, gcc-2.95.3, and XFree86 4.2.  I
visited the gnome
website at www.gnome.org and found the FAQ where a suggested order of
install was
available.  I used this and began installation.  Everything seemed to go

along well until I
got to gnome-libs.  Now I am getting the following error message when I
run:

    # ./configure --prefix=/usr

checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GTK or finding the wrong
*** version of GTK. If it is not finding GTK, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to
point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if
that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
*** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package
that
*** came with the system with the command
***
***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel
configure: error: GTK not installed

Now this is strange because I did install gtk+-1.2.10.tar.gz which I
downloaded
from the ftp site.  When I installed gtk+ I also used the same arguments

in configure:

    # ./configure --prefix=/usr

I have the following library files in /usr/lib

libgtk-1.2.so.0
libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1
libgtk.a
libgtk.la
libgtk.so

Some of these are links.  I also tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
although
this shouldn't be necessary.

I also have a /usr/include/gtk-1.2 directory.

So I can't figure out why the system is reporting gtk is not there.
Obviously, I ran
ldconfig after installing gtk.  So does anyone know what is going on
here?

Regards,
Jeff Stephens