Error compiling Pango 1.0.1 on Win32 (command 'lib' not found)

Hongli Lai writes:
 > Make didn't display any error messages, so I thought everything went well.
 > But when I try 'make install prefix=/gtk-install', I get the following
 > error:

 > /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `.libs/libpango-1.0.dll.a': No such file
 > or directory

Look at what the error message says. Is there a
.libs/libpango-1.0.dll.a file? Is there an libpango*.a file somewhere
else? The problem might be that you version of libtool produces the
import library with another name than what mine (1.4e) does. Does it
produce any DLL at all?

 > Then I noticed that no DLLs were build. So I investigated Makefile.am
 > and found this:
 > pango-$(PANGO_API_VERSION).lib: libpango-$(PANGO_API_VERSION).la pango.def
 >     lib -name:libpango-$(PANGO_API_VERSION)- LT_CURRENT_MINUS_AGE@.dll
 > -def:pango.def -out:$@
 >
 > But I don't have a program called 'lib' on my system.
 > Is this an error in the Makefile, or am I missing something? If so,
 > where can I get 'lib'?

That is not your problem. If you look at the generated Makefile more
closely, you will see that in your case it shouldn't try to make the
.lib file. Configure checks if lib.exe is available, and sets an
automake conditional MS_LIB_AVAILABLE based on that. The .lib file is
made only if MS_LIB_AVAILABLE.

--tml