GtkCList/Tree in a GtkMenuItem

The behavior of a GtkCTree in a GtkMenuItem seems to have changed from gtk+-1.2 to gtk+-2.0, and I can't find any documentation of this--is it intended, or just a sign of the imminent demise of these widgets?

A GtkCList/Tree is added to a GtkMenuItem, with a callback attached to the select-row signal. In gtk+-1.2, selecting a row activated the callback, but in gtk+-2.0 it doesn't. In the real app, the tree widget is added to a scrolled window, and neither the scrolled window nor the tree responds to any pointer action.

I have a simple program that exhibits the different behaviors, and can provide it it would be helpful.

TIA for any help/reorientation/whatever...

Peter