Re: sprintf and utf8

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 04:12:19PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > 	So, to be clear, encodings like Big5, euc*, and KOI8-R all are
> > ASCII compatible and sprintf %d to ASCII?
>
> They are definitely all ascii compatible, and, in my
> experience, all sprintf %d to ASCII.

	Ok, that's the answer I am looking for.  I'll just happily
sprintf my life away.

> Multibyte generally means something like:
>
>  One bye of ascii
>
> Or:
>
>  Two bytes of > 0x80 characters
>
> (With some more complicated variants.)

	Ok, I knew some were like that, but I wasn't sure whether all
common encodings were that way.  I wasn't considering encodings like
UCS-2 which are not "common" in the sense that they have been the de
facto somewhere for a while.
	Actually, I've had some fun discussions with folks who really
wish we'd gone with UCS-2 instead of UTF-8.

Thanks for the clarification,
Joel

--

The zen have a saying:
"When you learn how to listen, ANYONE can be your teacher."

			http://www.jlbec.org/
			jlbec evilplan org