Re: Rendering with xft and hinting

Around 10 o'clock on Mar 17, Hing-Wah Wan wrote:

> In Xft1 the fonts can't display at font size in where there is embedded
> bitmap (I'm using mingliu chinese fonts) ,does it still occur at Xft2?

Xft had a bug which assumed that scalable fonts always returned outlines;
a simple fix was applied quite a while ago that requests outlines to avoid
this problem; this means you'll never get embedded bitmaps with the old
version of Xft.

Xft2 handles embedded bitmaps correctly -- disable anti-aliasing and
you'll get the embedded bitmaps when available.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab