Re: GTK+-2.x planning

Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM> writes:

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Owen Taylor wrote:
>

> > This mail is intended to get discussion going on a 2.x roadmap for
> > GTK+.
> >
> > As a strawman, I've taken 20 or so more or less major items (out of
> > 450+ bugs open in bugzilla for GTK+ alone), and distributed them among
> > version numbers.
> >
> > The schedule below would be shooting for a quick 2.2 release with
> > multihead and official win32 in a couple of months, a followup 2.4
> > fixing the most remaining major missing pieces (GtkFileSel, GtkCombo
> > replacements) next fall, and then a 2.6 sometime in 2003.
> 		^^^^^^^^^			      ^^^^
>
> next fall is 2003?

By, "next fall", I meant Fall 2002.

> Or is that strictly towards 2.2?

There may be some small performance enhancements in 2.0.x, but
basically, we already did a lot of work in this area and there isn't
much low hanging fruit.

The one exception is coverage calculation in PangoXft/PangoFT2 which
currently is quite slow ... Xft2 support (2.2) will fix this but
using FT-2.0.9 API's when available would get a big performance boost
sooner.

(GDK and GObject have some possible performance fixes, but GObject is
going to be hard to get traction on, and it's not clear if the obvious
GDK fixes would really make that much of a difference... in any case,
we are talking really short 2.2 timescales, so there won't be time
for anything but the most straightforward bug fixes for 2.0.)